05 September 2011

Texas, Oklahoma Blue/Green Meteor Fireball 4SEP2011

Texas/Oklahoma Early Morning Meteor 4SEP2011
v.1 (c) 2011 LunarMeteorite*Hunter / Google Earth
All Rights Reserved- No copy allowed without written permission
(Click on image to enlarge)


Dallas, Texas Meteor ~5:35am 4SEP2011
I saw this ball of light fall from the sky. I was driving and it was soo close I thought I wasgoing to hit it.
Date:September 4, 2011
Time: Around 5:35am
Location: Dallas, Texas
Start and Stop Location: I was going eastbound on Northwest Hwy, I just pasted Preston Road, just in front of the church not even a block away.
Direction of Movement: it was angled going north
Duration of Event: approximately 3 seconds
Brightness: very vivid blue, blueish green
It happened so fast and unexpectedly, that I did not even have a chance to pull out my camera.
I would like to know what it was. After reading your website they have been falling for a couple of days, I am soo thrilled I got to see one. -Rachel Hernandez  Thank you Rachel for the excellent report!





Austin, TX Bright Green Meteor 5:30 am on Sep. 4, 2011
I was leaving the Austin airport when I spotted this. It was absolutely huge and very, very bright. It was northwest of my location and was angled heading north and appeared to be very close, as though it was going to hit the ground. It was shaped like a water balloon and lasted about three seconds. I googled to see if anyone else had spotted it and found your website. If you can tell me what it was, I would appreciate it. -Mary Sue  Thank you Mary Sue!  You saw a meteor fireball!



Farmers Branch and Addison, Texas
Sept. 4, 2011 @ approx 4:00 am. Directly over Farmers Branch and Addison Texas (Webb Chapell & Beltline Road area) traveling east, north east. Large, extremely bright green with bright green pieces separating from main body. Was so bright the street and homes took on a green hue...that's how I knew to look up. Observed it for about 3-4 seconds.
Apparent size was about the size of a quarter held up at arms length
Speed appeared almost leisurely....like it was just loafing along and not in a big hurry...LOL..would love to know what altitude it was when it went over....The perception was it was very LOW and on a ballistic arc toward the ground..but heck, it could of been 50 miles up for all I know.
Eric Waghorne  Thank you Eric!




Northwest Houston Texas ~5:40 am 4SEP2011
Sunday morning, 4 September at 5:40 in Northwest Houston Texas, Harris County,in the Hwy 290 @ Hwy 6 vicinity, I witnessed a large fireball in the North sky. It was heading Northeast. I was able to view this event for about three seconds. It appeared to be about the size of my little finger nail surrounded by red, yellow and blue flames. At first I tought it was a plane crash but I did not hear any explosion nor sonic boom. The event appeared to be very close until I saw that this had been viewed in Austin, Dallas, and another Houston sighting.
Does ayone know if this hit earth? I have not seen anything in the news other than this site.
-FRANK  Thank you Frank!



Lake Fork Damn (Mineola, TX) Meteor Between 4:45 AM and 5:15 AM 4SEP2011
Direction: It was very difficult to tell, but my best guess is from N/NW/W to S/SE/E (I was looking North, it appeared to be traveling left to right and steeply towards me)
Description: When I first saw the object it was extremely bright, it looked 5-10 times larger than the north star and was moving very rapidly. After an instant in began to glow even brighter and then burst into the main object and 2-3 additional items. At the time of the 'explosion' the falling objects we bright blue and green (aurora colors) for a split second and faded very quickly. The main object continued to travel through the sky momentarily before turning orange/red and then 'burning out.'
The object was in the sky long enough for me to point it out to my fishing partner. He was able to confirm, however he did not see the 'explosion.' I suggested that it was a meteor, he claims that it was far too low to be a meteor.
The entire flight traveled about 1 foot of visible sky, the 'explosion' occurred about 1/3 of the way through the full visible path, and the ejected objects fell apparently straight down for about 4 inches of visible sky before becoming invisible. The full event was likely less than 2 seconds.
Altitude: It appeared to me to be a little lower that the jets I typically see in the sky, 20,000-25,000 ft? However, again, my fishing partner felt that what he saw was far to low to be a meteor. At what altitude are meteors typically witnessed?
I have NEVER seen anything like this and I would love to find a plausible explanation.
How can you identify the direction? Wouldn't it only be possible to say left to right or up and down, as to or from would be almost indistinguishable for anything more than a few thousand feet away? -Daniel  Thank you Daniel!



Irving, Texas
 I was fishing with a friend at around 5:30 am. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a very bright blue light ,so bright it light up the water. I looked up and saw the best meteor I've ever seen :) It was going north northeast and lasted about 3 to 4 seconds. It was so beautiful towards the end of it i saw it start to break up and about a minute later there was a loud boom and all the fish jumped. i hope my report helps -Chris Thank you Chris!


Dallas, Texas
I went out to get the newspaper at 5:35 am this morning and saw a bright light shining on the roof of the house. At first I thought it was from a car's headlights coming down the street behind me. I realized the light source was above so I looked up. Through the trees I saw what I first thought was a helicopter with a spotlight pointed down. When it moved between the trees overhead I could see what looked like a roman candle, several blue green balls in a row with orange sparks trailing them. It lasted several seconds traveling south to north but I didn't see it directly until overhead and toward the east. Then it disappeared behind the house next door to the north. It was the largest I have seen in my 54 years, about the size of my thumbnail at arm's length. It was travelling faster than a helicopter would just above the tree tops. All I can say is I was in the right place at the right time. Wow! -Don S.  Thank you Don!


Dallas, Texas
I was up at 5:00 a.m. outside smoking a cigarette on back porch at home off Easton Road and Northwest Hwy in Dallas, Texas when I saw a light on the ground... kinda like a flash light or headlight.. LED light.. but realized no headlight should be shining into the back yard and if it was a flash light.. who the ??? was on the side of the house??? Then I looked up in the sky and saw a meteor breaking up into pieces as it went southeastward!! Very bright green/bluish color... kinda like a firework but too high up and no sound! VERY BEAUTIFUL! I am glad others saw it and I wasn't crazy! -Marc O.  Thank you Marc!


Dallas/ Fort Worth Area, Texas
Like the others in Texas reported we too saw this phenomenon - only we saw it streaking across and falling in the eastern sky around 5:35 AM or so. We were walking the dog – it was AMAZING. So bright I thought it was a plane turning on its landing lights in preparation of landing at DFW about 25 miles away. The whole area lit up and when we saw it, it was blue and green and flamed a little white/yellow when it disappeared. It so brightened the street that even the dog looked up. Amazing! -Charles Thank you Charles!



East of San Antonio, Tx
I was traveling east of San Antonio, Tx on the morning of Sept 4 aound 5:45a.m. A large meteor passed overhead and landed east of where I was. It looked like a large fuzzy snowball, with a huge tail of fire. It was truly a beautiful sight. Sheran-Universal City, Tx D. Tilley Thank you D.!



Jonesboro, Tx
I was going to work at 5:35 this morning I saw a
bright object falling. It was close to Joneboro Tx. In Coryell county. I
think it might been a meteorite, but am not sure. The light lasted
around 5 to 10 seconds. Any advice on how to find out would be
appreciated . Thanks, Shawn Caldwell Thank you Shawn!



Corinth, Texas
I am reporting the sighting of a large fireball in the sky this morning in Corinth, TX, just north of Dallas. I was out jogging at around 5:30 a.m. today, heading in an easterly direction, when I saw a bright light out of the corner of my eye in the south sky. At first I thougth it was a plane but when I turned to look at it,I saw it was much larger than the light put off by a plane and seemed to be much closer and flying low in the sky. It went from the west to the east/northeast in a fairly straight (horizontal) line. I watched for about 10-15 seconds or more before it disappeared. It was breathtaking -- an amazing sight. Sincerely, Cathy  Thank you Cathy!

Aledo, TX September 4, 2011, 5:32am
Direction of movement? traveling east, north east
Duration of Event (seconds)? 3-4 seconds
Brightness: It was very bright like a full moon, but with a greenish glow.
I was walking down to get the morning paper at 5:32 am and noticed a bright green glow. I looked up in the sky and saw a bright green meteorite falling to the earth. It was moving slowly to the North East. It was very bright green and very large with green fragments falling off as it moved. It was spectacular - a once in a lifetime experience! -Louise  Thank you Louise!


Plano, TX
This was early in the morning of 9/4. Not sure of the exact time, but I know it was after 4:30am. I was outside in the backyard with the dog. I was looking down at the dog when all of a sudden I noticed a bright light. At first I thought it was headlights and looked around and didn’t see any. I looked up and saw this blue green object moving across the sky in a north/north east direction. It reminded me of a firework being shot off, except, of course, of the direction it was moving in. As it was moving across the sky, it looked like it was shooting off silver sparks for lack of a better term. It was fairly low to the ground. I watched this for several seconds and then it just went out. It was bright enough that my dog sat down and watched it as well. I was wondering what this was and then I found this website. I guess it was a meteorite. I have never seen one like that before.
-Steven  Thank you Steven!


Robinson, TX
I also saw the fireball the other Texans are reporting on your website. I was standing outside a little after 5:30am and suddenly felt like a bright light had been turned on behind me - that's how bright it was. I turned around and saw this big, bright, green-blue fireball fall down the sky for around 5 seconds. Total time must have been between around 5-10 seconds, since I had first faced the opposite direction before I noticed the brightness behind me. I didn't see an explosion, it just suddenly disappeared and the sky was dark again. Impressive experience, even kinda scary at the moment.
-Melanie  Thank you Melanie!


Athens, Texas
My husband and I were outside getting ready to start to water the yard, when the yard illuminated like someone had shot off a flare gun. When we looked up we were facing north and it was traveling left to right (west to east) across the sky – it was lower in the atmosphere than a commercial plane – that’s what shocked us. The color looked like looking into a welders torch. About 3 seconds after we saw it, we heard a “boom” in the distance….like a cannon going off. We assumed it had hit in an unpopulated area since we haven’t heard anything on the news. Can’t believe people hundreds of miles apart saw the same thing at the same time, because this thing looked to be so close to earth. Whatever it was must have been huge. I looked on NASA’s website before stumbling on to yours……and nothing was on there. Would love any other information you could provide. Thanks for your website – very informative. -Linda Parmer 
Thank you Linda!


Henderson County, TX
5:35 a.m. Sunday, Sept 4, 2011. Viewed from Henderson County in East Texas. Bright white light lit up the inside of my bedroom. Looked out the window and saw object travelling east-northeast. Saw it go dark, but did not see the breakup. -Jim  Thank you Jim!


Killeen, TexasI ran across this site after reporting my sighting to AMS.. My sighting was on 4 September, at 0537 (by my car clock) am as I was driving Hwy 190, east between Willow Springs and Hwy 195. It was still dark and the initial flash was to my left, which was North. I turned to see the light and thought it was either a flare-burst or helicopter, as Fort Hood is that direction. The trail of light lasted 3-5 seconds and I estimate about 10 -20 degrees down angle. My guess is the direction was North-east. The flash trailed downward and the object briefly flashed and broke up into at least two pieces that appeared to light up as they separated and then the whole event was over.
Regards, Steve  Thank you Steve!

Dallas, TX
This morning as I was out walking, I glanced up and saw a green meteor or
flaming space debris come out of the western skies. It seemed very low, was
pure green in color and brightness. It was a brilliant, dazzling green. It seemed to
be on a course of about 085 degrees magnetic.
It seemed so low that I actually listened for the sound of the crash. This sound never
came. After waiting for the crash sound that never came, I checked the time on my
cell phone. It showed 5:38 so the meteor or whatever flashed overhead at
between 5:37 and 5:38 am September 4, 2011.
If anyone hears anything about this event, I would appreciate all the information that
you can gather. What was it? How high was it? How fast was it traveling? etc.
Thanks,  John Sullivan  Thank you John!

Big Cabin, OK (south on 69)
I was driving south of big cabin on 69 in a semi when I saw what looked like s decaying piece of space junk arc east ward and down a little about three seconds it broke up at the end with a piece going downward at a sharper angle forming a y between the main part and the last they both dissapeared fast after breakup . I thought that this was maybe over misgogee ok but it must have been the same one everyone reports over texas. fron my view it was like 10 oclock or 15 deg.? above the horizion. traveling east in a arc. -Ron Thank you Ron!


MBIQ Queries:
Mesquite, Texas arrived from google.com on "Latest Worldwide Meteor/Meteorite News" by searching for meteorite over fort worth 9/4/11.
04:17:17 -- 6 minutes ago
Arlington, Texas arrived from bing.com on "Latest Worldwide Meteor/Meteorite News" by searching for Meteor over North Texas September 4, 2011.
03:41:32 -- 30 minutes ago


Plano, Texas arrived from google.com on "Latest Worldwide Meteor/Meteorite News" by searching for was that a meteor over n texas 9/4/11.
03:35:58 -- 36 minutes ago


Houston, Texas arrived from google.com on "Latest Worldwide Meteor/Meteorite News" by searching for meteor over texas sept 4 2011.
03:26:28 -- 46 minutes ago


Flower Mound, Texas arrived from google.com on "Latest Worldwide Meteor/Meteorite News" by searching for meteor seen over texas 9/4/2011.
03:23:28 -- 49 minutes ago



We need other reports IF you happened to see this or another event; thank you!:
Date and Time of event? Location name (town,city) where you were when saw the meteor? Start and Stop location in sky? Direction of movement? Duration of Event (seconds)? Brightness ( in comparison with Venus, Moon, Sun) color, sounds? Photos? Videos? please email LunarMeteoriteHunter@gmail.com Your reports make it possible for all to check what they saw as well. Thank you! 
2011 The Year of Meteors!