17 November 2011

Michigan / Illinois / Iowa Meteor 16NOV2011

Saint Joseph, Michigan Meteor ~5:55 pm 16NOV2011
5:55 pm saint joseph michigan - 11-16-11 I saw a fireball coming down that burnt up above my car traveling on Marquette Woods Road/M63.  I was going to pick up my son on Glenlord 5 miles away and he stated he also saw one going in the opposite direction of mine at the same time. -Becky  Thank you Becky!

M43 driving back from Kalamazoo to South Haven, Michigan  5:58 pm EST
My daughter and I were on M43 driving back from Kalamazoo to South Haven and saw the same thing. We couldn't believe how beautiful it was and how long it lasted (4-5 seconds) bright blue, green and yellow fire. Looked like it was headed straight in front of our car too. Thanks for posting so we could confirm our sighting. -DLT  Thank you DLT!

I-94 near mile marker 92 between Battle Creek and Kalamazoo, Michigan
I saw a fireball in the western sky in Southwest Michigan last night just before 6 pm eastern time. I was driving West on I-94 near mile marker 92 between Battle Creek and Kalamazoo. The ball was quite bright and red like a flare and it faded fast. It looked like it was traveling down, but maybe West as well.-Marcie Thank you Marcie!

Schoolcraft, Michigan approx. 6pm EST 16Nov2011
I think I saw the fireball reported by Becky in Saint Joseph. My wife and I were sitting outside having a glass of wine (in the cold), and I saw a green fireball. It was to my west, and rather than travel across the sky from my perspective, it seemed to travel straight down. It must have been a bright one because the sky was still in sunset. It only lasted long enough for me to say “look, look, look” as fast as I could. -Craig Thank you Craig!

Dorchester, IA Green Meteor  5:05 pm CST 16NOV2011
My Down's Syndrome son and I were taking our daily evening walk at 5:00 pm. It was twilight so the sky was not dark but I could see one bright star looking East. I turned to check on my son and when I turned back I saw a bright sparkily green ball with a long multicolored tail that tappered to a point. It quickly disappeared at a 45 degree angle behind the trees on the bluff. It seemed very low and close. It was the size of a full moon. It lasted about 1-2 seconds. I thought "Did I just see that?" It's the first thing like this I have ever seen in my 64 yrs. I'm very happy I had this privalage. It was beautiful!!!! Wish I could have looked at it longer. -Carol P.  Thank you Carol!

Bradley, Illinois Meteor ~5:00 pm CST 16NOV2011
I was jogging outside in Bradley, Illinois on Wednesday (November 16th) at around 5 PM central time and saw a large meteor to the north of me. It was very brilliant, as it was visible through cloud cover. -Eric H. Thank you Eric!

Kouts, IN  Meteor ~5:00 pm CST 16NOV2011
I was in Kouts, IN finishing up duck hunting around 5 pm CDT and I looked into northwest sky and saw a greenish yellow glow streaking across the sky. I saw it for approximately 3 seconds before it burnt up. Never have I ever seen a meteor this size and with this much color. Josh Elder  
Thank you Josh!


Other reports?
Date and Time of event? Location name (town,city) where you were when saw the meteor? Start and Stop location in sky? Direction of movement? Duration of Event (seconds)? Brightness ( in comparison with Venus, Moon, Sun) color, sounds? Photos? Videos? please email LunarMeteoriteHunter@gmail.com Your reports make it possible for all to check what they saw as well. Thank you! 2011 The Year of Meteors!